Skip to main content

Is it Jealousy or What?

I so need to vent and usually when I vent I often go to one of my friends, however, what I need to vent about, I am sure that maybe one or two of you are also dealing with the same thing. I have some family members that are just simply either jealous of my accomplishments or just mad that they themselves did not also reach their own potential, goals or dreams.

I am going to tell you two major things that bothers me about my family.  But first, let me give
you some insight as to where this all came from. When I was young around when I was still
in grade school, I told my grandmother that I was going to accomplish 3 things in my life: live in
Europe (actually moved to Istanbul, Turkey), become a model which I never did and I forgot
what the third thing was, however, I did accomplish it. I was also in high school when I got
pregnant with my son Nick, while I was in labor, I told my mother and my grandmother that I
would never have another. So come 2006 or 2007 and my grandmother said to me, “Vicki I be
damn if you did not set off to do what you said you were going to. You accomplished
everything you said you would except for becoming a model.”  My grandmother went on to say
that I was her accomplish maker because I always accomplish something that I said I was going to. Though I did shock everyone in the family when I got married because I swore that I will never do so.

When I got married, my ex-husband sent me to Istanbul to meet his mother and grandmother.  
I fell head over heels in love with Istanbul and its wonderful culture that I so wanted to learn
more of.  Because my heart and mind were still in Istanbul upon returning that 6 months later
we (including Nick) moved there. My family was hesitant about us moving there and some of
the members was simply not even supportive about us going.  They were like “You don’t need
to go there.” and “Why would you go there?” And since I been back occasionally I will get
“You shouldn’t have taken your ass from the beginning.”
 
So when I went to back school in 2008 and finish my Associate degree and when on to get my
Bachelor in 2013, my grandmother was even more so proud of me and grateful because she
wanted to see at least one of her 23 children graduate from college. So I made that happen for
her because grandmother only had an 8th-grade education.  Of course, all parents and
grandparents want their children or grandchildren to excessed far better than what they had
accomplished in their own life. And granted when I graduate with my Bachelor I felt like I was
on top of the world and nobody could not tell me a damn thing.

Upon living in Dallas I have been making what some members of my family would say big
money.  They contribute this to the fact that I have a college education, therefore in their mind,
I am supposed to be making more than $60,000 and that I can have any upscale job I want.
I will never forget when I moved to Dallas in September 2016 and by November 2016 I have
landed a job at Oncor, one of my younger cousins got really angry at me for getting that job
and told me to pack my bag and go back to Milwaukee. And with very contract job after that,
I would get these well-paying jobs and my cousins are like, ”Well cousin, you the money maker
of the family.”  (So hate that!)

Now my family knows that I am willing to share my knowledge with them so that they can reach
their goals/dreams.  I have offered to help them redo their resume so that they too to show what
potential they have so that they too can also get that high paying check. However, they did not
want to do that, but they are always throwing my education in my face.  And the way they say it
makes me feel guilty for getting an education. As if they are putting me on a pedestal or sometime.

As I was discussing this with one of my younger but older cousins, he explained to me that I have
always been that way in terms of thinking of yourself as if I am on a pedestal and it is okay to
think that way because you have to believe highly in yourself. And there is nothing wrong with
that because it is called self-confidence. You either have it or you don’t. And in my case, I believe
I had plenty of it and still do. Therefore I see the world as my oyster, though I would prefer grilled
fish with grilled vegetables and a really good glass of wine.

A few of my family members did get their high school diploma and a few did not and that would
also include not getting their GED.  It is heartbreaking however, that is the path which they have
chosen for themselves. I have one cousin who served in the U.S. Marines for 5 or 6 years, and
I am very proud of her.  I have a cousin who is a well known local comedian in the Dallas/Fort
Worth area, and I am very proud of him. I have a few cousins and a brother who have stable
jobs and a stable comfortable home.  Yeah, sometimes I do get jealous of them for that and
sometimes I don’t. And then I have some cousin and siblings that are just simply living one day
at a time without any care in the world, just trying to make do with life. I do not envy them at all.

I am about to say something that applies to 80% of the people on this earth: only you know
what you are capable of doing and are willing to do what you need to do to make those goals
completed. You should not have to feel guilty because you did it by pushing yourself farther in
life. You know what you are willing to endure and how much potential you have within yourself.
The other 20% are trying to understand what the meaning of life is all about. (Bless their hearts.)
It takes time for anyone to understand and reach their own potential.

No one should have to feel guilty about their accomplishments! Stand proud but not too proud. 
I am all for those who are trying to move further in their lives by doing what they need to do. I
am giving my support those who are trying to make their dreams come true regardless of what
it is and that it is all legal. I did not let or allow anyone in my family to prevent me from
accomplishing what I want to do.

Their jealousy is not my problem nor it is yours and this is what I would say to everyone else
who is also going thru something like this.

Until next time. . . .


Comments

  1. Is it ‘ real ‘ story ? Never knew that my Reader is a Model !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being that Empty-Nester

Okay to all parents who are sitting around wondering what do I do now that the kids are gone? Surely most parents have thought about this question. “ What do we do once the kids have moved on with their lives?”  I did not have to ask that question because I could not wait for Nick to get his ass out the house and stay out!! I was feeling a new sense of freedom dancing around around the house and emptying a bottle of wine in my own celebration.  However that was me and you may have your own ideal as to what you want to do. It is just where to start, right? I think I tired several times before I have to force him to not return.  (Well, he had already enrolled in the Army to go full time so I thought it was the perfect opportunity for him to get his shit in order).  And I am so glad that he did. However I was already doing the empty nest thing before Nick even finished high school.  I had joined the Illinois National Guard and I was release with an honourable medical dischar

I love Haters!

It is going to come off as being sarcastic or sadistic however just let me tell you the truth.  I really do love Haters!  Their negative energy gives me the best energy to keep moving forward in accomplishing my goals. I am not going to argue with as why they hate because I am being me.  Think about it!  Do you even know why your Haters hate you? What did you do for them to hate you?  I bet you don't even know why, do you?  I thought of some reasons why Haters hate. Your accomplishments stands greater than they actual do, even with heels on!  The fact that you are willing and able to go out there and get that education to empower yourself is a threat to them.  Other than finishing high school, what else did you with your education?  Since 2008, I have obtain an A.S. in English, a Master Certificate in Telecommunication Technology, an Executive Certificate in the Cloud and in IT Security, a B.A. in Computer Network Management and I am currently working on my Master in Informati

When Hell has Frozen Over!!

When Hell Freezes Over is a term that is very often said throughout the day somewhere in regards to something.  This term means for something that is not to happen in this lifetime or in the unforeseeable future, or simply not a chance.  More or less we say it in regards to personally matters like getting marry.  I know my family said it when I got married in 2000.  Hell even I said, "Hell has frozen over, look at what I done did!"  Mothers and fathers have and continue to say it when they don't want their precious son or daughter to marry a certain individual that they simple don't like.  We use it when it comes to working out matters with a distance family members or friends.  You know how tempers can flare in certain ways! How about when something that has happen that you really thought would NEVER happen at all! Our immediately response is first shock followed by either "All Hell!" or "Hell naw! Hell just frozen over!"  This disbelief part is