Skip to main content

Work Locations (Would you travel for work?)

In all my 20 years as a contractor I have spent most of that traveling to and from a job from one location to another with one or more cities.  So I am asking you how far would you travel or are willing to travel for a job?

So what prompt me to write this piece was one I was on the last bus for home and there was this lady young who was still young in her mind. There was also a third person in this conversation and she was able the same age as I am.  Anyway, somehow our conversation went to where do you work at? So the young explained that she worked at Walmart, not in our neighborhood but somewhere else. She ask asked the other older woman where she was calling from her job and the other woman responded with that she was traveling from Addison, Texas for her job.  And when the young lady ask me where job was, I explained that I worked in Fort Worth (that is 42 miles in distance). Then the young lady responsed to both of us “There is no way in hell I would travel for any job regardless of the pay”. (Please keep in mind that she was 21 yrs old, she is still young.)

When it come to work, most of us know that you have to go where the money is. Or for other reason we choose to accept a job, and it may not be about the money but the job opportunity or status in which it holds.  We get to that job by any means whether it is by car, bus, train, or plane like what Tom Joyner did when he traveled from Atlanta to Chicago to do his show in the late 1990's or like today with Mr. Steve Harvey. (But some us don’t have Tom Joyner’s or Steve Harvey’s money.)

If you have been to Chicago t hen you know they have a huge transportation system in place that runs 24 hours with the exception of the Metra which starts running around 4 a.m. to about 1 a.m. depending on which line you are riding at the time.  In Milwaukee, their first bus run is around 5 something in the morning with the last bus running in the 1 a.m. and Dallas has the same time system as Milwuakee however Dallas DART system can be compared to that of Chicago.

Why did I add that part in about the cities? Because I don’t have car and I have never brought a car, and I did not let that be my excuse as to why I could not get around for work.  Those with a car, some of them will not be willing to even travel a distance for a job. But they will to go shopping. People keep asking if I am ever going to get around to buying a car. Mostly not however I will get faster than getting a specific other in live.

I would say that I have spent most of my 20 years as a contractor traveling to from point to point for work.  While living in Chicago, most on my assignments were within the downtown area. I would get one or two jobs that would call for going to one of nearest suburbs like Naperville or Joliet.  I once had several positions for Pearson Education which was located in Glenview, IL. I had to literally travel through the Chicagoland and past several small towns to get to Glenview by Metra. That was some 30 miles at one point that I had traveled for work. My last assignment at Pearson Education, I was traveling from Milwaukee, WI to Glenview, Il and to go from Glenview to Chicago from school and ended my day by traveling from Chicago to Milwaukee.

Was I tired during that last assignment at Pearson? Yes, I was.

While temping at my last assignment, I met a co worker who lived in Waxahachie, Texas and came to work in Fort Worth, Texas, that is some 38 miles between the two cities. There was another worker who lived in Forney, Texas which is about 50 - 53 miles depending on which way, East or West, you are traveling at the time. Besides them, I have meet others who were traveling at an even greater distance to come to work. But here is what I learned about all of them when it came to this company. They are not just working at this company to be working here but they all have worked for this company for more than 20 plus years.  So throughout the years they have transferred from one position to another which mean that they also had to transfer from one facility to another regardless of where that facility was located.

Now I have living in the Dallas area for 2 years and I have learned of areas that some of my family members who have been here for 19 -20 years have not known or knew nothing about.  With the help of DART, Uber and Lyft I have learned how to get around Dallas not only for work but also for entertainment.

Isn’t that just sad?  So not my fault that they don’t get out much. Or is it the fact that I can not keep my ass at home. (Who cares?)

Well, in my days of riding the TRE to and from Fort Worth, oi read a few books to pass the time and one of them was from my Twitter friend, Rajiv Bakshi is the author of the book “Journey from Guwahati to Machhiwara”.  The book is about his journey to work and the things he encountered at work, and also about some of journeys of his life. I enjoyed it some much that I brought two copies.

But was something to think about when looking for that next job.  How far are you willing to travel for it?

And on that note Ladies and Gentlemen, enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being that Empty-Nester

Okay to all parents who are sitting around wondering what do I do now that the kids are gone? Surely most parents have thought about this question. “ What do we do once the kids have moved on with their lives?”  I did not have to ask that question because I could not wait for Nick to get his ass out the house and stay out!! I was feeling a new sense of freedom dancing around around the house and emptying a bottle of wine in my own celebration.  However that was me and you may have your own ideal as to what you want to do. It is just where to start, right? I think I tired several times before I have to force him to not return.  (Well, he had already enrolled in the Army to go full time so I thought it was the perfect opportunity for him to get his shit in order).  And I am so glad that he did. However I was already doing the empty nest thing before Nick even finished high school.  I had joined the Illinois National Guard and I was release with an honourable medical dischar

I love Haters!

It is going to come off as being sarcastic or sadistic however just let me tell you the truth.  I really do love Haters!  Their negative energy gives me the best energy to keep moving forward in accomplishing my goals. I am not going to argue with as why they hate because I am being me.  Think about it!  Do you even know why your Haters hate you? What did you do for them to hate you?  I bet you don't even know why, do you?  I thought of some reasons why Haters hate. Your accomplishments stands greater than they actual do, even with heels on!  The fact that you are willing and able to go out there and get that education to empower yourself is a threat to them.  Other than finishing high school, what else did you with your education?  Since 2008, I have obtain an A.S. in English, a Master Certificate in Telecommunication Technology, an Executive Certificate in the Cloud and in IT Security, a B.A. in Computer Network Management and I am currently working on my Master in Informati

When Hell has Frozen Over!!

When Hell Freezes Over is a term that is very often said throughout the day somewhere in regards to something.  This term means for something that is not to happen in this lifetime or in the unforeseeable future, or simply not a chance.  More or less we say it in regards to personally matters like getting marry.  I know my family said it when I got married in 2000.  Hell even I said, "Hell has frozen over, look at what I done did!"  Mothers and fathers have and continue to say it when they don't want their precious son or daughter to marry a certain individual that they simple don't like.  We use it when it comes to working out matters with a distance family members or friends.  You know how tempers can flare in certain ways! How about when something that has happen that you really thought would NEVER happen at all! Our immediately response is first shock followed by either "All Hell!" or "Hell naw! Hell just frozen over!"  This disbelief part is