Skip to main content

Preparing for Natural Distasters

Would you stay in your home when you know, like everyone else in the nation knows, that a hurricane that is a category 5 heading towards state (city)? If you decided to leave, where you would go and important items would you take with you?  

I am bring these questions up because what has happen with the weather situation over in the Carolines with Hurricane Florence. But not just in the Carolines, how about what has happened in the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Louisiana, and the southern part of Texas in Houston.  These areas has and will continue to experience more hurricanes in the months and years to come.

Some of these hurricanes like Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Harvey came with such devastations that cost which is more millions than the current Lottery, that is needed to be collective in order for those communities to rebuild again.  When you see those who are impacted by these devastations your heart either goes out to them or you are thinking “What fool would stay in the damn storm?” Though everybody has their own reason as to why they are willing to ride out storm, both literally and figuratively.

So the question that I bring to you is would you stay in your home when you know that a hurricane is coming towards your city?  Let me be sarcastic, I will not be living along the East Coast or the southern parts of any state that is connected to the Gulf of Mexico.  (Hell to the NO!!) I will go visit for 3 to 6 days but that is it. I am going to consider Garland (Dallas) safe from all major nature catastrophes for now.  And only for now.

But to further answer the question, I would leave and I would take with me all important documents such as birth certificates, divorce certificate, degrees, and other documents.  I would take some dresses, some shoes, and some jewelry. I would leave all bills and ex boyfriends there. I would also leave my ungrateful child and my shrew-ass mother or mother-in-law.  

Now where would I go is the next question that I would be ponding as I am packing.  I guess that would depend on what is in the bank account at that time, which would apply to many people. (Sidebar: as I am sitting here writing this piece, I better also make a mental note to talk to the back about an additional saving account for that reason.) I have been saying that if I move again, I would put all my things in storage and get a ticket to somewhere in Europe.  So that third question would would be that ideal place in mind at the time of the hurricane? And I will be like this would be a good time as ever to go. Maybe. If I do go, where, the exact location would be the next decision to think about. For the time being, I am going to consider Ireland, Luxembourg, Spain, and especially South Korea because of my two new boyfriends: kimchi and Soju.   

But here in the states, where would you go if you could not make it to oversea or would not consider it. (For some people getting on a plane for that length of time would be too much! I believe a new alcoholic is born with every overseas flight.)   Would you go live in the snow storms of the North like Wisconsin, Michigan and the other states up there with Canada. How about going along the West coast like California, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington states. They get a lot of fog and rain there from what I have heard. You could go to Florida, Louisiana, Georgia, Mississippi and Alabama, however do note that they too also get hurricanes in the Gulf of Mexico. This would affect the southern part of Texas. Then again you can go to Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah where they are hotter then hot. Nevada would be my bet because you can truly become rich and go broke in one night there.  Now I know that I have not named some states and that is because I don’t know them too well. However the case, one of these states has got to be that alternative state for you to retrieve to live in when them storms come riding through.

Lastly, there is that question that can only be answer by when the huge storms and everything that come with it has passed and settled.  When you can return home to view the damage from the hurricane, 1) do you want to return home to see what is left or 2) do you care to see left is standing of your home?  If I am in Europe I would not give a rat’s ass as to what is left to be rebuilt. Because what took me years to built with my hard earn love would be destroyed in a matter of hours. My heart and mental state would be destroyed, so I could not imagine what those people are either thinking or let alone feeling when they return to home to see the destruction of their home. And to rebuilt again after again because of the storms that come thru yearly, I guest and can only guest because I have never been in those shoes, would be utmost devastating.

Now I am not really trying to make light of this tragic event but really we should think about the “what if” scenario if it should ever happen to your city or state. Are you really prepare to deal with any natural disasters that come your way?  Regardless if it is a hurricane, an earthquake, a snow storm, El Nino or a fire. Are you prepared for that and is there any way that we prepare for something like those as I described?

So, again I am bring these questions to you as to what would you do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Language and Love

Okay so once again I was reading in my favorite book, The Book of Questions when I became stuck on this question: If it was the only way you could remain with the love of your life, would you be willing for both of you to wake up tomorrow as native speakers of an unfamiliar foreign language, knowing the within a week you’d permanently forget the languages you now speak and largely be cut off from your friends and culture?  If so, what new language would you want to speak, and why? The first thing that came to mind was who would not want a lover or have the thought of having that foreign lover who could either speak French and Italian.  I know I did and I think that is why I took up Spanish in high school for the last 2 years. Then when I got in college, I continue with my Spanish and I took up Russian, Greek and Italian. Crazy right? Considering the Greek and Russian alphabets are so similar and that Spanish and Italian have some similar words. It was not until 9 years later

I love Haters!

It is going to come off as being sarcastic or sadistic however just let me tell you the truth.  I really do love Haters!  Their negative energy gives me the best energy to keep moving forward in accomplishing my goals. I am not going to argue with as why they hate because I am being me.  Think about it!  Do you even know why your Haters hate you? What did you do for them to hate you?  I bet you don't even know why, do you?  I thought of some reasons why Haters hate. Your accomplishments stands greater than they actual do, even with heels on!  The fact that you are willing and able to go out there and get that education to empower yourself is a threat to them.  Other than finishing high school, what else did you with your education?  Since 2008, I have obtain an A.S. in English, a Master Certificate in Telecommunication Technology, an Executive Certificate in the Cloud and in IT Security, a B.A. in Computer Network Management and I am currently working on my Master in Informati

Being that Empty-Nester

Okay to all parents who are sitting around wondering what do I do now that the kids are gone? Surely most parents have thought about this question. “ What do we do once the kids have moved on with their lives?”  I did not have to ask that question because I could not wait for Nick to get his ass out the house and stay out!! I was feeling a new sense of freedom dancing around around the house and emptying a bottle of wine in my own celebration.  However that was me and you may have your own ideal as to what you want to do. It is just where to start, right? I think I tired several times before I have to force him to not return.  (Well, he had already enrolled in the Army to go full time so I thought it was the perfect opportunity for him to get his shit in order).  And I am so glad that he did. However I was already doing the empty nest thing before Nick even finished high school.  I had joined the Illinois National Guard and I was release with an honourable medical dischar